[Freeciv-Dev] Re: GUI PATCH: refresh_tile_mapcanvas cleanup

To: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: GUI PATCH: refresh_tile_mapcanvas cleanup
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:08:04 -0400

Andreas Kemnade wrote:

> Jason Dorje Short writes:
>  > The function refresh_tile_mapcanvas() is absolutely identical in every
>  > GUI.
>  >
>  > So, in the process of cleaning up the map_adjust_[xy] calls I moved it
>  > into common client code.  Two problems:
>  >
>  > - There is no client/mapview.[ch], where it should properly go, so I put
>  > it into client/climisc.[ch].
> You should put it into client/mapview_generic.[ch]. (Create that file).
> Other stuff will appear there, too.
> I have thought about cleaning up
> gui-*/mapview.c, too.

Why mapview_generic.c instead of just mapview.c?  The former is more
descriptive but the latter seems to be the standard.

> Result: The Xaw client has isometric mode (without correct numpad and
> scrollbar handling). During cleanup there were many patches that touch
> every gui-*/mapview.c. That means a high risk of damaging a
> client. Ideally the guy who does such a patch should have the ability to
> check every client. But if these steps described above you can change
> lots of things without touching code you probably cannot check.

Yes, it would give very good result.

Unfortunately in this particular case I later realized that the BeOS
client uses a completely different structure for this code.  I haven't
quite been able to track it down, but it's not something I could change
anyway.

jason