[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Server loop (PR#1001)

To: Roman Fiedler <halfdog@xxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Server loop (PR#1001)
From: Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:00:12 +0200

Hello!

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 02:49:57AM -0700, Roman Fiedler wrote:
> I've discovered a situation that causes the server to loop. I hope you can
> reproduce the bug with the test.civ.gz saved game. The bug occurs only in a
> very strange situation so that a bugfix for exactly that kind of bug has a low
> priority, but perhaps will this bug affact "normal" games too. This is the
> reason for this bugreport.
>

> I've installed freeciv version 1.11.4. In one game the server got
Did you tried to reproduce the bug with 1.12.0? That's the last stable
version and was released 2 month ago. 1.11.4 is over an year old and has
many bugs.

bye
        michael

> into an unbreakable loop at end of turn, so I used kill -SEGV to
> get the core. The core contained a stacktrace:
>
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x808cf05 in map_get_tile ()
> #1  0x807ddf2 in update_unit_activity ()
> #2  0x807d230 in update_unit_activities ()
> #3  0x8065b2c in update_player_activities ()
> #4  0x8053d0a in end_turn ()
> #5  0x8053132 in main ()
> #6  0x400bdbaf in ?? ()
>

> Also the backtrace contains no line numbers, a look at the source
> tree showed that the problem occurs when transforming swamp to ocean.
> With this knowlege I created a demo map, which reproduced the bug.
>
> I think the problem is in the list_iterator, which loops across
> all units, but I couldn't locate the bug.
>

> Questions?
>
> Is anyone interrested in this bug (it seems to occur only when
> transforming arctic land at border of the map)
>

> Is there documentation available how the server basics work
> (like the list iterator, etc...) so that I could try fix it
> myself?

System Administration           Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani@xxxxxxxxx
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart