[Freeciv-Dev] Re: alternate topologies: isometric map

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: alternate topologies: isometric map
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 12:20:33 +0200

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 03:04:17AM -0700, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> Being without internet access for a while, I found
> myself back in Windows playing Alpha Centauri.  I
> guess I'd never noticed before that in addition to
> using a isometric tileset (which, unlike FreeCiv's
> current isometric tileset, I found quite nice) it also
> uses an isometric map.  I assume CivII probably also
> uses an isometric map, although it's been a really
> long time since I've played that game.
>
> Just to reiterate (read: skip this paragraph), an
> isometric map is like this
>  XXX
> XXXXX
>  XXX
> and wraps along the diagonals (just one of them, in
> the case of Alpha Centauri).  Under an isometric
> tileset, it will look flat.
>
> This has given me new enthuisasm to make such a
> topology possible in FreeCiv.  Unfortunately, there's
> a long way to go.  Some of the steps include:
>

> (1) remove all use of map_adjust_[xy] and replace with
> calls to normalize_map_pos (or the equivalent);

I'm waiting for such patches.

> (2) remove all accesses to map.[xy]size;

How do you plan to implement whole_map_iterate or similar things?

> (3) make all map accesses independent of the map
> storage structure;

What map accesses? There have to be methods which have to know how the
map is stored. At least common/map:map_get_tile and
server/maphand:map_get_player_tile have to IMHO.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "There are three ways to get something done. Do it yourself, hire someone