[Freeciv-Dev] Re: directional system: more magic code cleanups

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: directional system: more magic code cleanups
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:56:52 -0400

At 09:11 AM 01/09/21 +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 08:29:12PM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
>> But at least this is an O(0) solution instead of the fully fledged
>> O(n) one you started with.
>>
>> We are getting there! even if by process of elimination :-)
>
>If you make a benchmark of Jason's scalar product method (float and
>sqrt), my scalar product method (int), my int tan(pi/8) method and
>your bit method AND check that each method returns the same value I
>will consider this. If you (or somebody) else will do this I will
>apply my int scalar product method tomorrow.

So your default choice is to go with the obviously worst implementation
over fairly minor modifications to the previous CVS code if someone else
doesn't prove that your method and a lot of other unrelated noise are
better?

It seems like you have arbitarily set and placed the burden of proof in
a rather screwy spot considering the sorts of things you ask others to
do to get their code patches into CVS :-).

I'll be curious to see what this does to warmap profiling times once
you've rammed this through the system.

>       Raimar
>--
> email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  "With a PC, I always felt limited by the software available.
>   On Unix, I am limited by my knowledge."
>    -- Peter J. Schoenster <pschon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Cheers,
RossW