[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Goto + Sound (Was Diff: Improvement proposal)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Goto + Sound (Was Diff: Improvement proposal)
From: col@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 08:20:18 +0200

Francois Taiani <francois.taiani@xxxxxxxx> wrote ..
> Hi David,
>
> Some more ideas I've just had yesterday while playing: When you make a
> goto from one location to another, the sound is only played once. For
> instance, when moving a settler on a road, the sound is played when the
> settler starts its move, but after that the settler further moves
> silently. It would be nice if the sound could be played during the whole
> move.

As you can see from the source code, the same sound is only played all 2
seconds but I will adjust it better in a later patch.

> Some comments on that: I don't think the naive solution of playing the
> sound the same number of steps a unit moves would work. Without
> synchronization of sound-playing / unit-moving, the durations of both
> "task" are quite arbitrary. Thus, if the 'plain' one-time sound plays
> longer than the unit needs to make a move, the differences would add on
> the whole move path, resulting in the whole sound possibly lasting far
> longer than the very move. (Ugh :(

See above.

> During a move with several steps in it, the optimal solution would be to
> play the sound each time the unit make a move on the screen, and tighly
> synchronizing both actions: The unit should wait for the sound to end
> before making a next step, and a new sound "task / process" should not
> be launched before the unit ends its moves, if the sound finishes first.

This would slow the game too much I think

> I think a good inspiration for a solution could be the mail sent by
> Kenvin <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Saturday about directly forking the
> sound process in the code.
>
> Francois

I think I'll make it this way: I recognize how long the wave file is and adjust
it that the wave's play a smooth sound...