[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Adding new terrain types to the ruleset?

To: "Miguel Farah F." <miguel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Adding new terrain types to the ruleset?
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 01:07:36 -0400

There are currently 12 defined terrain types, and they are pretty much
hardcoded into a lot of places like savegame and such that need to
translate to a symbol and back.

I think there is a hard limit at 15 or 16 because a lot of code assumes
masking capability, plus array lookup stuff, and 16 was a good number.

But it shouldn't be too difficult to make a pass over everything once
to define 3 or 4 "User Terrain" types that one could parameterize in
the rulesets. The difficulty might be in getting them into the original
map generation process. But you could always use (an updated) civworld
to create scenarios.

Cheers,
RossW
=====