Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: flag scaling problem

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: flag scaling problem
From: Karl-Ingo Friese <kif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:38:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Thue wrote:

> You could change the flag spec files so that the real flag sizes were listed,
> and used when the flags were loaded. I think the rest of the drawing
> algoritms would work fine even if the flags were trimmed, since the flags
> always start at the top left corner.
> Since the flags are different sizes you would have to specify the flag sizes
> per flag; a bit ugly.

Very ugly ... indeed.

> Alternatively, you could examine the pixels in a loaded flag (or when it was
> first loaded), and automatically cut it down. Just look how far to the
> right/buttom the transparent pixels start.

This sounds like the best solution to me ... but I will have to find out
how to do this ;)

> Or my favorite solution: make the transparent pixels work. If they were white
> like the background it would look fine in your dialog.

It wouldnt look that "nasty" as it does now, but still the "real" map
image would be scaled to small. Since it is alrady hard to see them now,
Id like to have them "as big as possible", without a white border.

> If you scaled on a per-flag basis the relative sizes of the flags would be
> different from the main map. I think that wouldn't look good.
> Note that the flags seem to come in all heights and widths.

No, the relative sizes remains the same, if I use your second
suggestion. What I do is to scale the flag pixmap that its height fits
to the row height. I do not change the ratio.

Ingo
--

Karl-Ingo Friese
kif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx