Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Terrible bug (PR#748)

To: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Leandro Noferini <leandro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, FreeCiv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Terrible bug (PR#748)
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 19 May 2001 21:42:53 +0100

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, thue@xxxxxxx wrote:
> On Saturday 21 April 2001 16:00, Leandro Noferini wrote:
>>     >> And this for the server
>>
>> (........)
>>
>>     Thue> The address out of bounds is return from a gettext
>>     Thue> call. Try giving configure the argument
>>     Thue> "--with-included-gettext".
>>
>> Nothing changed! :-(((
>>
>> "Segfault come piovesse"! (1)
>>
>>     Thue> If that doesn't work you might want to try
>>     Thue> "--disable-nls"
>>
>> This worked for me but I need to solve this problem because I am
>> one of the italian translator of freeciv! :-(((
>>
>> http://www.freeciv.it
>>
>> (1): don't try to translate this because it's slang from Florence!
>>    Literally it is: segfault like it is raining, something like
>>    always and only segfault!
>>
>>    :-)))
>
> Try compiling normally and "export LANG=en_US", and see if it runs.
>
> If that works is probably a libc6 2.2 issue. I had some trouble with
> that as well. My problem was that libc6 doesn't handle upper ascii
> characters when LANG was set to "C".

This is a bug in Freeciv, not glibc.  I don't have a copy of the
relevant posix specs at hand, but I'd be surprised if you're allowed
to assume anything at all about LC_CTYPE=C other than the relevant
charset being a (not necessarily proper) superset of ASCII.

Freeciv is seriously flawed in the manner it treats character sets; it
essentially assumes that everyone and everything uses ISO 8859-1,
which is not true.  See for instance, the code that verifies that
names for cities etc. is reasonable.

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
..  does your DRESSING ROOM have enough ASPARAGUS?