Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New city dialog - stage 10

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New city dialog - stage 10
From: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 21:01:47 +0200

Am Samstag, 28. April 2001 18:18 schrieben Sie:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 11:40:05AM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
> >
> > A related problem: In the worklist page, both lists are
> > sized equal, even if the left one is proper displayed
> > already, and the right one still uses scroll bars. It
> > would be much nicer, if this was solved more intelligently.
> > But maybe this is too tricky with GTK?
>
> We (Tuomas and I) have discussed this:
>  - no scrollbars at all -> size increases
>  - fixed size -> always scrollbars
>  - size depending on the size of the whole dialog -> sometimes
> scrollbars - user decides which columns are shown
>  - smaller font
>
> Want do you want?

I suggest the following: remove the "Info" column from
the current worklist on the left and remove the horizontal
scrollbars from that list. Keep the scrollbars of the
available items list on the right, and remove the "Turns"
column from it. Reduce the size of the "Turns" column. Max
is 999.

The "Info" doesn't tell you much; you should really know
what you are building. The "Turns" info in the right window
isn't useful either, the "Cost" info is more informative IMO.

This prevents you from overloading the dialog and from exceding
it over 800 pixels. Plus, it will remove the scrollbars at all
in most cases. The important thing on the city dialog is that
it is *handy* to use.

Christian

P.S.: Just discovered the right mouse button on the units -
fine thing. You should write help texts for the dialog. :-)

--
* Christian Knoke                           +49 4852 92248 *
* D-25541 Brunsbuettel                  Wurtleutetweute 49 *