Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: ai development

To: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Alex Smith <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: ai development
From: Jordan Crouse <jordanc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:29:58 -0600

Daniel Sjölie wrote:

> I think there might be some confusion here about the thread as a concept
> and the thread as reality... You seem to mean simply that the AI should
> run in parallel with the server and not really that they should be
> threads in the same process?

I guess you had to be there.  I was suggesting that we add threads to
the server process, but that was A Bad Idea (TM).  I apologize.... :)

> > Client side AI would be one way to implement this, but I wonder if we
> > should have an entirely separate  thread, an "AI robot" if you will,
> > that runs off the command line.
>
> In short - an AI client...

As a completely separate process mind you, not part of the GUI client
for the human operator.

> > That would keep the size and processing
> > time of the client down, but it would increase complexity, especially
> > for those unfamiliar with the client server model.
>
> AI is far more complex than any client server model. Thus anyone who
> expects to have any luck writing a good AI should have no problem
> understanding the client server model... (Actually, I think it is odd
> that You think client-server is complex at the same time as You talk
> about threads - threads are a lot more complex in my mind... :)

I was more worried about the users having to spawn three processes
instead of two.  But I ws just searching for reasons *not* to make a
separate process.

Jordan