Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: worklists (PR#722)

To: kero@xxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: worklists (PR#722)
From: David Pfitzner <dwpfitzner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:13:08 -0800 (PST)

Kero van Gelder <kero@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> NB: you need a way to lock the list, so it can't be edited twice at
> the same time; I do not know the multi-threading behaviour of gtk,
> but I know freeciv has no mechanisms implemented by itself. And no, a
> simple boolean as field in the worklist will not work, of
> course.

Why not?

You seem to be all concerned about thread-safety, but the simple
situation is that freeciv in general is not thread safe, so any
GUI which uses threads will have problems.  The current GUIs instead
use event loops: events can happen in various orders, so you have to
worry about widget states and callbacks and network events etc, but
each event will be processed one-at-a-time, so you don't have to
worry about atomicity etc while processing for each event.

-- David