Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Localization: Automate start-of-sentence cap. letter?

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Localization: Automate start-of-sentence cap. letter?
From: Sini Ruohomaa <siruohom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 12:26:06 +0100 (CET)

Hi some more,

It's not quite as natural in Finnish as in English to have this word and
that start with a capital letter. Also, we don't have articles like
'the'. I'd like to consider translating for instance units in lowercase.

Then I have a problem: Sentences might well not start with a capital
letter, if I'm forced to put some variable-string in the start of them,
and that's non-capped.  This would presumably be easily enough fixed in
small amounts by always running a replace on the first letter,
a-z->A-Z(*), but is it too heavy to manage with _all_ the strings
currently?

--Sini

*) As a side note, as you probably know, there are also alphabets which
/don't/ end in z, which might require consideration if/when implementing
this.