Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI doesn't remember what it is doing (PR#710)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI doesn't remember what it is doing (PR#710)
From: sigra@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:18:30 -0800 (PST)

onsdagen den 28 februari 2001 23:43 skrev Thue:
> On Wednesday 28 February 2001 17:05, sigra@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > Version: Current CVS
> >
> > In an AI-game I observed some behaviour that looked strange. The AI
> > player sent out 2 engineers into the wild to found cities on opposite
> > sides of it's empire. The 2 engineers seemd to reach their destinations
> > at the same time. When one of them had founded a city the second engineer
> > changed it's mind and went back into the empire, went through it all the
> > way to the newfounded city just to fill every square around it with
> > roads.
> >
> > If this is how the AI behaves, it means it can only found 1 city at a
> > time. A big disadvantage.
>
> It can found severel cities at the same time. When it founded the first
> city it just discovered that it had a new city that needed terrain
> improvements. It then estimated that terrain improvements would be more
> usefull than a new city and ditched building the second city.
> Could be smarter, sure, but not that bran dead.

Personally I would have founded that second city. But if it really is more
useful to fill the 20 squares around the new size 1 city with roads instead,
the AI should have sent the other settler in the same direction as the first,
so it could have started improving about 5 turns earlier. 5 settler turns are
valuable and expensive. And this happens often.