Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: headers in po-files

To: sigra@xxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: headers in po-files
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Feb 2001 15:24:01 +0000

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, sigra@xxxxxxx wrote:

> The localization page says that the header of po files must have a
> fuzzy flag. No reason is given. check_po.pl complains about
> it. Other projects (gimp, kde) dont have it. Freeciv seems to work
> without it. Then why require it?

I've been wondering about this as well, but never got round to asking
about it.  I also looked in the gettext docs to see if there was any
information about the `header' entry, but I didn't find anything.

The upcoming GNU gettext release (already incorporated in glibc 2.2)
has the ability to convert messages from one charset to whatever
LC_CTYPE is.  It relies on the information in the header entry to work
out what the charset of the .mo file is, so clearly this is going to
have to change if Freeciv is to make use of this feature.

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
I OWN six pink HIPPOS!!