[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Server Error (PR#666)

To: ??? <iquin@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Server Error (PR#666)
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:47:17 +0100

On Friday 26 January 2001 02:33, ??? wrote:
> When PR#664 was first reported, I thought it was hardcoded
>         if (j>900-dist*9) {
> in create_start_positions() which causes slow dist--.
> Of course, I could be wrong.

I am quite sure I found the real error. A continent was though placed, but
all the tiles was set at negative y-values, so they didn't actually exist. So
when start positions were distribured there was not enough to go around
because you could never find the tiles of one of the continents.

> >    yo = myrand(map.ysize)+n-s;
> >    xo = myrand(map.xsize)+w-e;
>
> These don't seems right, I thought it should have been
> yo = myrand(map.ysize + n - s);
> xo = myrand(map.xsize + w - e);

Why not just
yo = myrand(map.ysize);
xo = myrand(map.xsize);
?

> > -  y = n + s / 2;
> > -  x = w + e / 2;
>
> Their existance shows that something has changed from original
> design. But I can't recall what was changed.

Those lines were fluff in 1.11.4 too.

> What I can recall is placeisland() was not meant to place islands
> across x=0.

Why not?

> Regards,
> I.Q.