[Freeciv-Dev] Re: XPM format

To: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: XPM format
From: Brian Olson <locke@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:30:50 -0500

On Monday, January 22, 2001, at 07:32 PM, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Thue wrote:
>
> > Any reason not to move the freeciv gfx to .png?
>
> Having to depend on libpng and zlib is one.

Interesting. In writing the MacOS X port(still coming along, slowly), I
converted all the .xpm files in data/ to png. MacOS X's Aqua/Cocoa GUI library
supports reading a lot of formats, but not xpm. Aside from GIF, png seemed the
most convenient format that had the right sort of keyed transparency. And png
is of course more politically correct.

Is the situation similar on Windows? Is png a better format for moving to true
color tiles an sprites?
[insert clever signoff here]
Brian Olson http://bolson.org/