Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Controls on access to specified techs.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Controls on access to specified techs.
From: David Pfitzner <dwpfitzner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 16:28:52 -0800 (PST)

Andrew McGuinness <andrew_mcguinness@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would have thought it would be better if the modpack designer
> could say exactly what he wanted in the rulesets.  In the past,
> designers have had to try and fake "racial abilities" by
> partitioning the tech tree, which hasn't worked very well, hence
> this patch.  But wouldn't it be easier if you could specify that,
> say, only races with the attribute "Elvish" can build the
> "Rings of Power" wonder (or whatever), and then give nations
> attributes in the ruleset.

Yes, I like this idea. Eg, each tech has a new optional field:
   restricted = "Elves", "Humans"
and nations also have a new field:
   classes = "Elves", "High Elves"

This way you can have "partitioned" tech trees, or partially
interwoven trees with some restricted leaves, etc.

For more fun, the "restricted" field could be applied to other
rulesets too, such as units, improvements/wonders, governments, ...
Then you could have a single unrestricted/transferrable tech,
eg "Archery", which allowed multiple units, eg "Elven Archers",
"Orcish Archers" etc, each of which was individually restricted.

I have a feeling I should also look at the reqgen patches...

-- David  (not currently in a position to actually implement
           any of this...)