Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Combat rules

To: moz2@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Combat rules
From: Marc Strous <m.strous@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 12:18:30 +0100

I'm working on a patch that does exactly this:

>Gert Van den Eynde wrote:
> > Is it possible to have "a lot - on -
> > one" or "a lot - on - a lot" style
> > of combat ?
>
>Civ also lacks the notion of grouping altogether as far as I know. So we'd
possibly have to introduce that (which I'd like anyway).

the patch includes: (1) the possibility to join units together to form
squads; (2) the possibility to have squads combat each other instead of
mere units and (3) a graphic representation of both; (4) activation via
rulesets or serveroption
i hoped to have it finished a couple of weeks ago but it turned out to be
much more complex than i thought. and ai support is not even included.
anyway, i think it will be finished in less than 2 weeks now. it's a large
patch, sorry about that, but there seemed to be no way to split it into
meaningful parts.
cheers,
marc

>From: <moz2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Combat rules
>Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 08:55:36 +1100 (EST)
>
>Gert Van den Eynde wrote:
> > Is it possible to have "a lot - on -
> > one" or "a lot - on - a lot" style
> > of combat ?
>
>Bobby Bryant
> > I can't help wonder whether it was
> > omitted from Civ I/II because it
> > would introduce a problem with
> > players quickly building a super- > army
>
>I suspect it's also because of the tricky switch from turn-based to melee
combat. Many games "solve" this by having a succession of 1:1 combats that
aproximate melee (MoM, HoMM etc)
>but the "real" melee solutions I've seen basically failed.
>
>Civ also lacks the notion of grouping altogether as far as I know. So we'd
possibly have to introduce that (which I'd like anyway).

>What might work is a modifier based on other units in the same square.
Especially for distance-based attacks. Having multiple units attack and
defend with the best value in the stack each round might do it.

>so a city with a tank and two motorised inf would defend at 6, but when
they got their damage round it would be at 10 not 6. The attacker would
presumably use a howitzer plus mech inf for the same reason. Then next
round the attack would probably hit the second mech inf if the first was
damaged.