Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] I Wish For Asynchronous Troop Moves (PR#576)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] I Wish For Asynchronous Troop Moves (PR#576)
From: tomg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 02:34:11 -0700 (PDT)

Full_Name: Tom Goulet
Version: 1.11.4
Client: Both (or N/A)
OS: Debian woody :)
Submission from: (NULL) (142.165.18.226)

Hello,

I would like Freeciv to have asynchronouse unit movement.  I mean that
all the players do not move their units at the same time.  They have
to wait until the other guy finishes.  One player will move all his units,
then hit a new button called "unit moves done", and then player two
will do the same. There is no reason administrative duties must be
blocked, however, because they do not immediately affect other players.

The reason I think this is a good idea, is because it helps Freeciv
be a better strategy game.  Things like patrols of destroyers or fighters,
or well protected fleets of ships become possible.  It also gives players
more time to think about unit moving strategies.  And it's just really
bad to lose a city (or a civilisation) because the other player can move
his units faster.

Yes, this would likely slow Freeciv down.  But then again, there are
no "chariot situations", and no strategic need for a timeout.  So for
some players it will be faster.

Thanks for your time. :)

TomG