Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Server patch: Background mode, report dead players

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Server patch: Background mode, report dead players
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 20:59:43 +0200

Urban Mueller wrote:

> I've patched the server to accept (undocumented) option -b or
> --background. If
> called like that, it will
> a) Not read stdin
> b) Set cmdlevel ctrl
> c) Exit if last players disconnects.
> This is used by my new client which runs the server for single player
> games.
>
> Also, the server reports whether a player is dead or alive in the
> metaserver
> info. The metaserver in turn only proposes live players in the Join As
> field.
> That version is already up.
>
> One thing about the server tho: I suggest a one-line /list format for
> players that only 1 person is connected to. /list is important during
> startup.

Your concept sounds mostly good.

> Patches for the client will by much larger, can I get CVS write access
> maybe?
> A rollback is always possible.

I don't think you have any good chance to get something into cvs before anyone
has even seen your code. Patches must be availible for review for several days
before they can get in. Even thoose who have write access release their patches
for review before they commit. This is an importans security measure. Large
patches are uploaded to anonymous ftp. See
<http://www.freeciv.org/contribute.html> for details.

>  -Urban  (Zop)

-Erik