Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Christian--Time for me to start on the graphical frontend

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Christian--Time for me to start on the graphical frontend
From: "Nathan Gundlach" <dagchess@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 18:32:50 -0400

Hi,

I am getting ready to start work on the graphical frontend for FreeCiv. I downloaded your version, but I am using Windows and will be doing the development on Windows (I boot Linux, BeOS, and MacOS 8 also). (So I can't run it and see what your GUI looks like.) I am considering whether to do the work on Tcl/Tk or RapidQ (a RAD BASIC that is free and supports x86 *n*x (it probably could be compiled on a PPC), Windows, Solaris, and HP/UX). I would like to work with you on this (specifically the *n*x version and, if I do it in Tcl/Tk, the code since I'm not the greatest, having learned the language within the past week!). One of the features that I like about Tcl/Tk is the ability to create a widget with a name that the programmer doesn't know, that is dependent upon a config file. This will come in very handy if I implement a graphical frontend using my idea for compatibility and config files.

If you (or anyone) has any thoughts, please send them along!

As soon as possible (tomarrow?) I'll send my psuedocode ideas for how it should be implemented.

-- Nathan