[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea: server autoread config files

To: Piotr.Sulecki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, FreeCiv Development <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea: server autoread config files
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:12:59 +0200

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 08:54:50AM +0200, Piotr Sulecki wrote:
> Ave!
>
> What do you think about having a configuration file read automatically
> by civserver upon start?

That's what the -r option is for!

> I'm thinking of some file (perhaps .civserverrc) which is read from
> civserver's current directory, then (if it fails) from the home
> directory of the user starting it, or finally from freeciv install dir.

I once did a patch to implement this but I'm not sure it's a good
idea.  Unix apps suffer greatly from the 'where the hell did it get
*that* config again' problem and one way to solve it in this case is
not to read a config file by default at all.  civserver has problems
with locating its the rulesets already.

> This file would be read just as if the user typed 'read .civserverrc' as
> the first command.

Actually, the -r option was there before the 'read' command :)

--
Reinier Post