[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Flags in collum - aproach two

To: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developement list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Flags in collum - aproach two
From: Jarda Benkovsky <pvt.benkovsk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 11:50:58 +0200

Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> What about making flags big collumn and sorting it alphabetically ?
>
> So if patch1 inserts flag of foo and patch2 inserts flag of bar,
> they can be both applied unless foo and bar are next to each other.
> Oh, and if you can't patch it by /bin/patch, you can do cut & paste lines
> much easier than square blocks.

What about splitting the nations completely? I think that it would solve
MANY problems: since adding a new nation would only mean adding a line
in some nationset config file, all those XPM-patching problems would
disappear. Users would be able to add new nations easily and the
problems with inclusion of Nacistic Germany and USSR and whatever would
disappear too - the user could download Hitler's Third Reich, Stalin's
USSR, make a trivial nationset and voila! playing in WW2 settings could
be done. Same for SCA x USA in 1861.

My proposal is hence to split all nations to their own ruleset and flags
and  whatever files in their own directories, and make nationset files
(possibly autogenerated on startup instead) holding names on nations
only.

If we eventually get to including music and pictures for the nations, it
will get into that nation's directory too

                                        Edheldil