[Freeciv-Dev] Re: maps/projections

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: maps/projections
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 12:59:09 +0200

> Since Freeciv is a game where Americans and Sumerians can be
> contemporaneous and your troops might take 50 years to walk 50
> miles, it makes more sense to ain for a particular "feel" of play,
> rather than geometric accuracy.

I am not interested in geometric accuracy, either, but I do think that
different map topologies (hexagonal grids, non-cylindrical base
surface) would create an interesting variation, similar to the way in
which map size and landmass already affect the game.  I agree that
it is way out of proportion to implement a generalized map tiling
system just for this purpose.  It is sugar, but unlike sound support,
throne rooms and 3D quasi-realistic puppets, seeing Freeciv on a real
sphere or a Klein bottle would truly amaze me if I ever saw it implemented.

--
Reinier Post