[Freeciv-Dev] New Map Generator

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] New Map Generator
From: Chad <cwingrav@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 00:41:02 -0400 (EDT)

  Space: Civilization's Next Frontier

This is a new map generator.  It is used in my new space module that I am
putting together.  This generates "planets" (ok, so they look like
islands) around the map and gives each a theme.  The current planets are
jungle,desert,mountain,terra and arctic.  It uses landmass to generate
the number of the planets to add to a map but otherwise ignores the
settings for map generation.

It places planets randomly about the map and they must be a certain
distance apart or else it will try and place it again.  If it can not
place any more planets, it quits and uses the current map. I let it go for
500 tries before it gives up.  There are better ways of doing this but
this was easy to code and not computationally expensive.

The changes made include a new file planetgen.c/.h.  There are three
places that it needs to be added to in Makfile.in/am to make it compile
(just look for the other files and add it there).

I will be adding the other patches shortly.  To see what FreeSpace looks
like now, http://www.cslab.vt.edu/~cwingrav/freespace.

        Enjoy,

            -chad