[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New Theme: FreeSpace... needs playtesters!!!

To: Chad <cwingrav@xxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New Theme: FreeSpace... needs playtesters!!!
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 09:58:23 +0100

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 01:44:24AM -0400, Chad wrote:
> I was inspired this weekend to write a new theme for FreeCiv.  I call it
> FreeSpace as the technologies are futuristic (one of the first is Warp
> Drive).  I added a few code changes, a new terrain generator, graphics (I
> could use some help here!), completely new technologies, renamed buildings
> and governments and made completely new units.

Brilliant!

> It needs play-testing, better graphics and I have no idea how the AI works
> with it as I have not tested that too well ( I need a good reason to
> break-out Russell and Norvig's book anyway).
>
> So, please contact me if you want the code ( I downloaded the tarr-ed
> file, made changed and re-tarred so don't expect much ) or have an
> interest in this.  When I get a chance, I want to make FreeSpace an option
> off of the server as there are a few major things that change ( the map,
> unit upkeep costs, terrain and such).

I'm personally pretty busy at the moment, but I'd love to see it in a
month or two when this academic year is over in the UK.... I hope
you've used ruleset files as much as possible.  When you find
something where you need to change the code, not the rulesets, then
consider how the functionality might be implemented in the rulesets.
It is a goal of freeciv that a wide variety of very different mods
should be createable just using rulesets...

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable