Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Settlers going for 50% discount

To: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Settlers going for 50% discount
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 07:55:51 +0200

On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 09:23:54PM -0400, Jeff Mallatt wrote:
> At 2000/05/20 20:46 , Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
> >On Sat, 20 May 2000, T.J.T van Kooten wrote:
> >> I've started to browse through the source code for FreeCiv and came across
> >> something curious concerning bribing (code line 258-260 see below).
> >> According to comment in the code settlers are 50% cheaper to bribe than
> >> other units. What's the reason for this? Is it game specific (AI)?
> >> Gamebalance? Something that was forgotten to take out (Civ1/2 certainly do
> >> not have this 50% discount)? Or just a programmers personal quirk (it says
> >> "fixme")?
> >
> >I say we just do it.
> >Anybody against? Then speak now or be forever silent.
>
> Controlled by units.ruleset, then who could object?  (Argue about the
> default value, yes... :)

This discount seems to be good idea.
Settlers shouldn't be much more expensive than small city.

Anyway, what about implementing market_value in ruleset,
(0 = un_bribable)
then it would be possible to implement :
- non-linear costs, example unit 40sh to be 2x or 8x more expensive than 10sh
- different cost for navies
- bigger costs for elite troops and lower for normal troops
- some units to be more bribable (Cannon, due to less people to bribe, of
course)
  or less bribable (fanatics)

And we would have more plain interface to bribery when
implementing multi-part units costs (gold+prod)