Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bug in freeciv

To: freeciv dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bug in freeciv
From: "martin.mcmahon" <martin.mcmahon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 23:48:46 +0100

Hello jonlan-9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I agree with u on this ,I read your message and
then went and played civI   using the freeciv winning method ,you can't win
using it here is why.

1 any town with a library has the same science gains as about 5 towns without
one
2 any town with a library and a university  has about the same sience gain as
30-40 towns without any .
3 try building too many towns with libraries in or university you can without
the extra trade you get with roads ,
4 the bigger towns help with science too  plus more  trade making more towns
able

so to sum up the power of libraries needs to be improved and universities
it says in civI university improves science by 50% in a town that have one.
libraries have the same effect.
so say you have 10 towns with libs and unies u would need to road to help fund
them and try to build up your pop in the towns to get more science ,
not build lots of small unintresting towns
10 good towns would be like 40-50 small towns but using some wonders woulb
push this number upto 100-140

Regards Martin

Ps.freeciv is the best game on the net ,

On 01-May-00, jonlan-9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> My name is Jon-Mikko, I am from sweden, and I used to play civilization &
> civilization 2 LOTS. I just found out a couple of days ago about freeciv,
> and i tried it out, been playing some internet-games against other people,
> and I found this VERY important thing that you must have forgotten to add.
> The thing is, as it is now, everyone build as many settlers as they can,
> and as many cities too as close to eachother as possible. The one that
> builds most cities wins, kind of, and it is not unusual for a player to
> have like 40 or 50 cities of size 1 and 2 clustered over one little
> continent with no roads, no irrigration, with just one square between the
> cities. Everyone then uses republic and researches like one advance each
> turn. This tactic totally ruins the game, and it is all just one bug that
> is making it possible to use it. In civilization you get more corruption
> the farer away from the capital you build a city AND how many cities you
> have. In freeciv it seems like the number of cities doesn't matter at all,
> only distance matters. In civilization for instance, you could have 4
> cities on despotism without any corruption. If you built a 5:th city that
> city became in civil disorder one size smaller than the others. Lets say
> you play emperor skill and on despotism. The first four cities then became
> in disorder on size 4. The following four, city number 5-8 became in
> disorder at size 3, and the four following at size 2, and so on. On
> monarchy you could have 6 cities without any corruption penalty, and on
> republic you could have 8. Communism/Democracy no corruption penalty. This
> greatly increases the various kind of strategy you can use to win the game,
> allowing perfectionistic players to have a chance. As it is now, noone
> builds irrigration, noone builds city improvements, nooone get cities
> larger than 3 or 4, everyone just builds settlers, settlers, settlers and
> expands...  Well, that was about it, I hope you got the time to read this
> email, for I only want you to try make freeciv as good as possible... :)
>

> /Jon-Mikko

-
E-mail : martin.mcmahon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
FREE E-mail at website http://starradioscotland.cjb.net

Chat on #Rabble  uk3.arcnet.vapor.com port6667
see http://rabbled.cjb.net

Get Freeciv at http://www.freeciv.org

Member of G.A.U.G (Glasgow Amiga User Group)
gaug-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx