Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: warmap patch and gotohand

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: warmap patch and gotohand
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 20:19:09 +0200

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Jeff Mallatt wrote:
> This turned into a huge thread.  Did a consensus patch ever evolve?
>
> At 2000/05/03 22:02 , Nicolas BRUNEL wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >   I looked quickly at Thue gotohand patch. It's a good thing to have
> >clearer gotohand functions.c . I didn't check if It reproduces the same
> >behaviour as the old one. As has said Thue, it takes time to understand
> >gotohand code. I tried also to improve it. Modifications are
> >
> >   - the field seacost is withdrawn. It wasn't used anywhere as a seacost
> >field. There was always a test before to check if the unit was a land or
> >sea unit.

At least my consensus was that it were used. I don't know about other
peoples consensus :).

> >   - the local_vector is no more set to zero. It can be wrong. But, It
> >looks like it is always set before being used.

We agreed that it was not neccesary to reset this. I have personally only
looked at code and not tested, though.

> >   An old warmap can be reused. If the minimum distance between the two
> >units which are using a warmap is d, only add d to the old warmap.
> >Part of the warmap will have the correct cost. (Once you have reached the
> >old position) I don't know if it can be done efficiently. I don't think AI
> >manage airlift.

This will require a good deal of coding, and personally I don't think it
will be worthwhile even when coded. Wait until someone shows us the code.

> >   In ai/aiunit.c : int find_something_to_kill
> >   A test is added so that AI only try to conquer ennemy cities.

Didn't really check this.

-Thue