Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv and Civ II

To: Sam BC <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: garfy@xxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv and Civ II
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 14:51:56 +0100

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 02:20:55PM +0100, Sam BC wrote:

> It is clear from the discussions I have seen that this approach is already
> pervasive, so why has there been discussions recently about compatability
> with CivII? If that is still a goal, there is no reason to sacrifice what
> we feel about quality to meet it, just make more features abstract. This
> also solves the problems with the idea of SMAC version or of FreecivNG.

AFAIK, Civ II compatibility has always been, and still is, a goal.

Personally, I don't view it as important.  I never played Civ II (I
did play Civ I) and I maybe never will. I just want freeciv to be a
cool game (which it already is).

But I'm sure Civ II style will happen

Jules

(who is in no way part of the freeciv team, he's just noisy on mailing
lists)

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable