Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: timeout patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: timeout patch
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 21:43:53 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Robert Rendell wrote:
> The basic intent was to allow us to run a game with predictable updates
> (after a more rapid initial stage), so we could have, say, 2 turns run a
> day, and people could connect and do their turns and disconnect again...

I've been thinking... could it be possible, if a few small modifications
were made to the rules, to allow one player to take several consecutive
turns while the other player is offline?

The idea is this (not very novel): Each player gets one turn each X
minutes. The number of turns you can play is stored, so when you log on
you can play Y turns then log off.

This would make long, drawn out games more feasible. It would probably
require a different ruleset (at least), to avoid complete overrun
during one player's consecutive turns. Railroad, air transport, etc would
probably have to go.

Yours,
Per