Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Apollo Program bug

To: cjmorland@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Cameron Morland <cjmorlan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, FreeCiv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Apollo Program bug
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 17:17:39 +0200

This can't be a fog of war code bug. I can't imagine how it should fail to
handle/send the first tiles but do the next ones ok.
So the bet is on the network code.
I have a suspecion that it is choking on the buffered sending of all the
tiles in server/send_all_known_tiles . Perhaps we should buffer each x
row seperately as a workaround?

I have generously put connection_do_buffer/connection_do_unbuffer around
all the clumps of sending information. There wasn't some hidden rules I
should have respected?
I noticed that vasc put a comment in the code about big chumps causing
trouble in the code; maybe thats it?
(the bug is hereby passed to jjm or whoever is the freeciv network guru)

It would be interesting if the next person to encounter this problem
would try to disconnect/reconnect the client and see if he could then see
the tiles. That would rule out all doubt about whether it is the network
code that fails to send the tiles. I'll try to reproduce it too, of
course. I need to polish at that code anyway. (But I still don't believe
a bug in it could cause this error)
It would also be possible to read the info from a savegame if you
happened to have one from after the bug happened.

And thanks for (more or less volunterily :/ ) helping me debug the fog of
war code!

-Thue