Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New authentification code

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New authentification code
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 19:23:11 -0500

On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 03:21:58PM -0500, Daniel Burrows was heard to say:
> > It seems logical to have a one to one mapping between purposes and
> > packages, which would mean two packages, I think.  But why not include
> > the individual authentication capabilities into the capabilities string?
>
>   Yes, I thought of that.  There are a couple of reasons I didn't do it:
> first, I wanted a way to get directly at the list of authentication
> capabilities, and didn't want to use something like prefixing each one with
> AUTH_; second, the list of available authentication capabilities isn't
> static -- it depends on which ones are enabled in the server, which can be
> modified by the server operator.  (at least, that's the intent; I'm not sure
> it works just yet :) )  The capability string is static and chosen at
> compile-time.

  I've changed my mind again -- I'm experimenting with using a special packet
type to send this list.

  Hopefully I'll have a preliminary version of the auth patch available in the
near future (**knock on wood-substitute-material**)

  Daniel

--
Exhilaration is that feeling you get just after a great idea hits you,
and just before you realize what is wrong with it.