[Freeciv-Dev] Barbarian Leader, etc. (was: Bug Report v.1.10.0)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Barbarian Leader, etc. (was: Bug Report v.1.10.0)
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 15:22:35 EST

From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:01:13 -0500

Hum. They all look correct to me, except for obsolete_by (which, as the comment says, is an ugly hack).

This has the interesting side effect that a barbarian leader can be upgraded to a settler and be used to found a new city. Someone has actually done this, and it wasn't me. The same someone once almost totally destroyed a new player by playing as barbarians. Sure you have only limited control over the units and you can't produce any units that are not allowed for barbarians (eg. settler) because you cannot toggle off the AI, but it can be annoying nevertheless.

On the other hand, barbarians are very handy for observers. Until a real observer mode is implemented (as a server option), watching a game as a barbarian is not bad at all. Maybe we should cut off the controls to barbarians completely so that you cannot mess with what the AI does.

Finally, in order to find out who are playing in a certain game, you have to go to the metaserver webpage. One player has suggested that it should probably be put into the client.

Mike