[Freeciv-Dev] Re: server fails

To: Tobias Brox <tobiasb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, garfy@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: server fails
From: Dave Goddard <daveg94087@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:25:44 -0800 (PST)

I agree regarding the triviality, however, after
rebooting several times and getting the message upon
the first execution after reboot, I had to think it
was something else.

I tried different port numbers as well -- to no avail.
 I checked the host file as well to verify that the
localhost existed.  It turns out that it was something
a little more insiduous.

What did work was renaming the computer.  I have an
ISDN modem with a 4-port mini hub.  The ISDN modem
acts as the primary DNS for the local network.  When
laptop that I have since given away (Buzz).

Sometime long ago, when setting up WinDoze print
services on the other computers, I hardwired the IP
addresses to get all my computers to print properly.
Even though that was 2 houses and an ISP ago, the
flashROM in the modem still contained the address.

Unfortunately, I can't explain why this computer or
the civserver would look to the modem if "localhost"
was specified.  All other IP functionality worked
fine.

I didn't bother to take a network capture but, perhaps
the server broadcasts it's name rather than the
address?  This kinda makes sense given the
requirements of multi-client usage.  At which point
the modem ARPs the Ethernet address and doesn't find a
match for what it thinks is Buzz as the card is
different?

In any case, while I don't know exactly what caused
it, I did find a cure.

Thanks for your pointers!

Dave Goddard