[Freeciv-Dev] Re: fontproblems with xfsft (PR#245)

To: bg057@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: fontproblems with xfsft (PR#245)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 00:28:31 +1100 (EST)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, BORG, Ger wrote:

> Version: 1.9.0
> Client: Both (or N/A)
> OS: SuSE LINUX 6.3 with KDE 1.1.2

> After downloading xfsft and configuring my x-fontserver
> to use truetype fonts, the texts of the civclient became unreadable
> because of using a bad font face with a wrong charset.
> Then I found a line in the file Freeciv:
> !*.font:      *-courier-normal-r-bold--12-*
> and by deleting the ! and choosing other fontfaces tried to modify the
> used fonttypes,
> (for example:
> *.font:               *-courier-normal-r-bold--12-*
> or:
> *.font:               -monotype-arial-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8850-*
> or:
> *.font:               *-helvetica-normal-r-bold--12-*)
> but nothing changed in the client. I found no helpfile
> about this problem.

You don't mention whether you are using the Xaw or Gtk+ freeciv
client, which is probably very important for how to fix your problem.
(If you don't know, try running "ldd civclient" (or eg
"ldd /usr/games/civclient" or whatever), and see if the output
incudes libraries such as libgtk.)

The Freeciv resources file will only have any effect if you are using
the Xaw client, and even then only if the file is in the right place
to be read.  For the Gtk+ client the fonts seem to be hardwired into
some of the C files :-/

-- David