[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Worklist, take III

To: l99_onb@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Corin Anderson <corin@xxxxxxxxxx>, John-Marc Chandonia <jmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Worklist, take III
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 13:54:06 +0100

On 2000-01-19 11:09:49,  wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Stephen Hodge wrote:
>
> > > This feature would also require additional bookkeeping to know that, eg,
> > > OP has been postponed, and not simply -placed- at the #2 spot.  That is,
> > > you'd need a 'postponed' bit for each worklist item.  You'd also need some
> > > way to convey this information to the player, etc.
> > Couldn't you just move the item down one spot, and then if it still
> > can't be made when the (new) first item is finished then demote it
> > again? Notifying the player could be an issue but I think most people
> > would be happy to either have this occur silently in all cases or not
> > happen at all.
>
> What happens then if also the second item on the list cannot be build
> because you lack a tech. Wouldn't the result be an infinite loop?
>
> I would suggest that whenver you want to build something from the list
> that you search the list for the first item that you CAN build and then
> move it to the top.
> This would ofcourse generate an error if there is no items that you can
> build.

Well, in such a case You deserve an error... :)
It should be just like it's empty, the player is notified
and an auto-selected item is inserted at the top of the list...
Empty and nothing buildable is just special-cases of each other...
Or something like that... :) I don't think it will be a problem anyway...

Why is this not checked into cvs?
How many have write access to freeciv cvs?

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)