[Freeciv-Dev] Re: chat protocol

To: dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: chat protocol
From: rutger@xxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 14:41:33 +0100

On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 02:38:13PM +1100, dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I was talking to a few friends about the chat protocol and I suggested it
> might be better to use the irc system.
> I am prepared to take this on but I was wondering wether there was a
> reason for it being the way it is. Is there?

Added complexity, which is not needed most of the times. You don't
want to add IRC server support to the civserver, and IRC client
support to the civclient do you? If you don't, people can't play a
local game without having an IRC server started also, and an extra IRC
client started.

Maybe a mini-IRC client would be nice in civclient, but don't make it
obligatory then.

--
Rutger Nijlunsing, rutger @ null.net ----------------------------- Linux! --
Don't BiCapitalize without extremely good reason: it messes up the natural