Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv abstract toolkit (long)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv abstract toolkit (long)
From: sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx (Sebastian Bauer)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 14:46:38 +0100

Hi Vasco

> Please send me your comments on this, i'd be especially interested to hear
> from the people behind the Mac, Amiga/Mui and BeOS ports.

> Can you make a native client for your OS using C only?  Mui is based in C
> as far as i can remember,

Yes, Mui is C only.

But actually I don't have a real opinion about this topic. IMO it works
like it is now and we should move more code out of the gui dependent part.
We have now nine files which are gui independent, as I started the mui
client we had only three or four. This is an improvement.

Also updating is no problem. The main development should be the xaw and the
gtk client (and they shouldn't care about the other clients if they don't
want this). The task of the people behind the other ports should be to
update
there clients to the latest changes.

Of course if somebody can present such a abstact layer this might change.
But it is probably very difficult to make everyone happy with this.
For example actually I don't like the menu structure of Freeciv. It is
maybe Ok for the GTK or XAW client but not very conform to the amiga style
guide. Other clients on other platforms have also other style guides
(e.g. also differnt orders of buttons).

bye,
Sebastian Bauer