Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreeCiv Tiles

To: displague@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreeCiv Tiles
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:56:47 +1000 (EST)

Marques Johansson <displague@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are the FreeCiv Tiles GPLed? or GPLable?

My understanding is that the tiles are GPLed.

Once, the tiles were all in tiles.xpm, which explicitly said
GPL in an unused part of the image.  Subsequently some of the
tiles were split into separate files (units.xpm etc) which no
longer say GPL explicitly, but tiles.xpm still does.

The newer tilesets (engels, trident) follow the same pattern,
with tiles.xpm having an explicit GPL notice in the image.

> (I'm not concerned so much about the default 16colorish tiles, but the new
> shiny, perty tiles...)
>
> In other words, can I "steal" them, giving appropriate credit, ofcourse,
> for an entirely different project?  Or does the artist have some
> restriction on it?  If not - which artist is responsible for the tiles in
> the screenshots shown for 1.8.1?

If you get release 1.9.0 (which includes the same graphics as
were new/default in 1.8.1, but no longer as the default graphics
as 1.9.0), each xpm file is accompanied by a "spec" file, which
includes information on the artists responsible.

Regards,
-- David