Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] I18n patch

To: abies@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] I18n patch
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 13:00:31 +1000 (EST)

Artur Biesiadowski wrote:

> Here is a patch that marks a lot of strings in gtk client. It was
> created by my friend Zbigniew and he asked me to forward it to this
> list.

Thanks; I have checked in this patch, after updating to cvs
and minor fix.

There is one problem I'm not sure how best to fix:

This patch included in various places things like:

-  char *titles[6]= {"Server Name", "Port", "Version", "Status", "Players",
-                   "Comment"};
+  char *titles[6]= {_("Server Name"), _("Port"), _("Version"), _("Status"),
_("Players"),
+                   _("Comment")};

This may work with gcc, but its not acceptable in general
(because initialiser must be constant, and result of _() is not).

A partial fix is to use N_() instead of _(), which is what
I've done.  However then one must use _() somewhere else in
the code, and I'm not sure how, because this is used by, eg:

  list=gtk_clist_new_with_titles(6, titles);

Note cannot just do eg:

  list=gtk_clist_new_with_titles(6, _(titles));

Because need to call _() on individual elements instead.

Any ideas?

(So currently such strings are marked by N_(), but any
translations will not be used.)

-- David