[Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch: remove remaining hardwired tech effects (PR#118

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch: remove remaining hardwired tech effects (PR#118)
From: sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx (Sebastian Bauer)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:56:14 +0100

Hello David

>>> This patch adds some more data about techs to ruleset files, so
>>> that the tech_type_id enum values are not used anywhere in the code.
>> Great :-)
>> I have send a patch a short time ago, which does this too ;-)
>> But it's little bit more general, because I use flags. And
>> it should also be variable and extendable (but not tested yet)
> Good!  As I mentioned, it seemed like these should use flags,
> but I was too lazy to implement the framework ;-)

No problem. I done it ;-)
But it wasn't too much work.

>> In my patch Population Pollution has already implemented as a flag.
> So how did you handle the ordering problem?
> One solution in this case would be to slightly change the rule,
> so that its the number of pop_pollution techs which count,
> and not just the highest one known by the player.
> (That is, currently there is a list: A, B, C, D, and if the
> player knows tech C but not A, B or D then pollution is
> times 3, (index of tech C counting from 1).  It could be
> changed to simply the number of techs from this set.)

Yes I simply count the number of techs with the
Population_Pollution_Inc flag the player has researched.
This would mean if the player has only reasearched tech C
the pollution whould be times 1.
But that wouldn't be a problem in the default tech.ruleset
because Plastics needs Massproduction which needs Automobile
and which needs Industrialisation.
As I said ealier flags has the advantage that more than
one tech tree could be possible. I think we should allow
this also for the population pollution. Also another
flag like Population_Pollution_Dec would be possible.
Mod pack writeres might be interested in this.

So all in all I suggest to change the rule like you has
suggested above ;-)

bye,
Sebastian Bauer