Re: [Freeciv-Dev] "tilespec" system

To: falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] "tilespec" system
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:15:46 +1000 (EST)

Falk Hueffner wrote:

> I like the tilespec system very much, it's a great improvement.
> However, I had some problems:
>
> It seems there is no way to exchange a tile from an .xpm without
> editing the .spec file, since tags mustn't appear more than once. So
> if I have two files providing u.catapult, I have to comment it out of
> one.

Hmm, good point.  Something should be done about this, though
I'm not sure right now just what exactly...

Something simple and easy to implement yet powerful.  :-)

Probably something like your suggestion, but I'd have to
think about it some more.

> BTW, I had crashes when a tile name didn't contain a '.', I will track
> that.

Hah, another good point.  I know why that is.  (The tags are
placed  into a sectionfile, which needs the tags to be of the form
"section.entry" (where entry can contain more '.', but they are
not significant).  One hassle of using the sectionfile stuff to
achieve hashing...)

Porbably easiest is to explicitly require (and check) that tags
have a ".", and something on each side.

-- David