Re: Whatever became of glib? [Was: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Patch: Server end f

To: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Whatever became of glib? [Was: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Patch: Server end for client data saving]
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:24:26 -0400

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 11:11:42AM +0200, Falk Hueffner was heard to say:
> Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> >   Whatever happened to the suggestion about allowing dependencies on glib?
> > That
> > would give us a good hash table as well as bunches of other utility and
> > portability routines..
>
> Well, nice hash tables would be... erm... nice. I have looked at the
> glib info pages and it seems the hash tables aren't documented... Also
> I don't see anything else particularly useful there. Have you used
> glib before?
>
> So I would rather generalize and clean up out hash stuff than to add a
> dependency...

  Almost nothing about glib is documented :(  The hash tables are fairly simple
to use, as are a number of other things. (I think there's a portable snprintf
replacement, for example)  I may look in the freeciv source to see if there are
enough other good uses for us to justify actually using it instead of using our
own stuff :)

  Daniel

--
All generalizations are dangerous.