Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More suggestions for Freeciv

To: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Evert van Dijk <evert_van_dijk@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More suggestions for Freeciv
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:21:26 -0500

On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 11:17:15AM +1000, Stephen Hodge wrote:
> Evert van Dijk wrote:
> > idea / suggestion
> > create a city improvement like a part-time army (what we in Australia
> > call the Army reserve) that would be able to defend the city against
> > attacks.
> Colonization had this. I do think that if the Army Reserve unit loses the
> combat the city should lose one population regardless of city walls. I also
> think there should be a fairly low number of Army Reserve units per city
> (say one unit per 8 or 10 poulation) otherwise it will be too hard to
> capture cities.

        Master of Orion II had it, too, but that doesn't mean it's a good
idea for Civilization.  If you want to defend your cities, build defensive
units.  Adding an automatic defender generator, especially at the scale
originally proposed, would make winning by conquest almost impossible.
        Unless you're playing on one huge continent, a moderate Navy/Air
Force can keep your home land safe from all invasions.  Even Caravels
are a good enough unit to destroy most incoming loaded transports, so this
ability is acquired fairly early on in game terms.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"When I was young, the sky was filled with stars.