Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Scripting language

To: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Scripting language
From: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 08:55:34 +0100

Artur Biesiadowski wrote:
> With scripting language possibilities are a lot greater - effects of
> building could be scripted - so citywall would have
>
> {
>         modify_defence(city, 50);
> }
>
> I suppose that implementing it in useful manner would change freeciv
> from civII clone to generic civ-like game engine. But that would require
> titanic amount of work - writing parser/interpreter would be easiest I'm
> afraid - entire code would need to evaluate various scriptfuns to work.
> I doubt if any single ruotine tied to pure logic would be left
> unchanged.

I am working on a way to make freeciv 'scriptable'.  I mentioned this a
couple of months back.  I've designed and written a very light-weight
virtual machine, for another project.  As a test case for this virtual
machine, I intend to embed it into freeciv, which will allow me to make
a version of freeciv with, eventually, almost no hard-coded special
cases.

First I intend just to do units - indeed, just attack and defence rules.

I will be sure to post here when I have anything to look at.

Jules