Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] too many science goals (PR#32)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] too many science goals (PR#32)
From: dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 06:13:11 -0700 (PDT)

A problem in current CVS is that the number of goal techs in the
goal menu of the science dialog can become too large, making it
impossible to select goal techs from the bottom of the list.

(Arguably this is a toolkit problem -- the widget should have a
more sub-item or something.  But the current result is a freeciv
problem.)

This is potentially a problem with both Xaw and GTK+ clients,
though I notice it more with the GTK+ client due to fonts/spacing.
It can also becomes a problem with variant rulesets, eg I had
this problem severely with the Ancients modpack.

Currently the code lists all goal techs within a fixed number
of steps away; perhaps that number of steps should be adjusted
during the game to limit to a maximum number of techs in the
goal menu.

-- David