Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gtk-client maybe leaks memory on x-server

To: Markus Linnala <maage@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gtk-client maybe leaks memory on x-server
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 09:43:50 +0100

Markus Linnala wrote:

> Markus Linnala <maage@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Anyone else seen gtk-client leaking memory on X-server?
>
> I think city popup dialog is to blame.
>
> I opened and closed the dialog and X server size went up from
> 21928 to 24984 (RSS 13676 -> 16724).

This sounds like an Xserver bug (by definition?).  If quiting the client
doesn't solve the problem, then that sounds like the Xserver's problem.

Which is not to say we should try to find out what's aggravating the bug
in freeciv code, of course.

I've long been plagued by gradual XFree86 memory leaks on my machine -
my Xserver gradually increases, over a period of hours, from 16 to 50M.
I think it is imlib-using applications which cause it - but I think it's
nonetheless the Xserver at fault - the Xserver is not flushing XImages,
or something like that.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |