Re: [Freeciv-Dev] running civserver as root

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] running civserver as root
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 23:07:28 +1000 (EST)

Reinier Post wrote:

[running civserver as root]
> is unsafe.

I agree with this.  (Basically, the server is not currently very
robust against malformed packets, buffer overflows, etc.)

> Patch attached.

> +  if (!getuid() || !geteuid()) {

> +    exit(1);
> +  }

What I would like to know from freeciv-dev is whether there are
any systems which currently run freeciv which may have problems
with this patch, and whether there is anything we can/should
do for such systems...

(Eg, particularly some unnamed systems where the user is
effectively always "root"... Not that I think we should "dumb"
freeciv down for such cases, but if we can readily accommodate
everyone...)

Regards,
-- David