[freeciv-dev] Trade & the GTK City Display

To: - freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-dev] Trade & the GTK City Display
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 01:29:06 -0500

Vasco's GTK+ displays are so handsome that I hate to suggest modifying
them, but this suggestion is a matter of player convenience.

When a city finishes producing something and I go in to give it new
production orders, I don't always know in advance what I'm going to
change production to.  I just pull down the Change list, examine my
options, and glance back at the city display to see what kind of units
I'm already supporting from that city while I'm deciding what to build
next.  Under these circumstances it would be nice to be able to see how
many trade routes I have as well, since the Caravan is often one choice
among many for the next unit to build.

Unfortunately, you can't see how many trade routes you do have when you
are in the Change menu; you have to exit Change, click Trade, examine
your routes, dismiss Trade, and pull Change up again.

For this reason I would like to suggest ditching the Trade button
altogether and crowding the trade route info directly onto the City
Display.  However, I wanted to bounce the idea off others before I just
jumped in and did it.  (For that matter, mail indicates that people are
looking at putting a granary on the City Display already, so maybe we
don't need more fingers in the pie right now, even if you do like my
suggestion.)

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas